Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Messy is just better.

Remember how I said in the last post that I can't see getting anything done is a pristine white studio?

Take a look at the tools I use... A lot of my brushes are hard with dried varnishes, curved from sitting in water (for weeks, I will admit...) and I just cut off bristles when they get really raggedly and still use them. I use old painty water for far longer than you should because I like things to have grayish cast to them. And my cutting mat is useless because most of the lines are obscured by paint and stains and ink.
Here is a painting in progress. Its getting its 5th or 6th coat of varnish, some of them tinted purple. This is when things can go great or a painting can easily get destroyed, as each coat could bubble or streak or dry milky. But I try not to be afraid to try things on paintings, because you can always start over.
And here is another one. I am not even sure how this one is going to progress. Its this ink drawing washed with acrylic. I am working on a few really tight and clean custom orders right now and I just want to "paint messy" and not worry about stuff and see what happens. Its a super tiny and fat canvas, and the proportions of the girl on it are all super wonky. Its a mess but I am liking it that way. No stress.

But first I have to eat strawberries with painty hands. Another one of my studio secrets.

What? Its non-toxic!

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog and your batcats! You may find my blog of interest (I found yours by clicking the "batlink" in my profile.) http://luckyfindgazette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:48 AM

    Where do you find those tiny fat canvases, or do you make them yourself? I'd love to paint something on one of those, and even more I would like to hang one on my wall.

    Your work is very awesome, by the way. I have been stalking your blogs loving your cute stuff for years =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found them at an art/craft supply store called Deserres here in Toronto. (Its in a mall of all places) Its a Canadian chain. Hi Stalker! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:35 AM

    I love your studio, that's what all of them should look like. Well loved and worn in. I've always wanted my own studio, but I need to get myself and house and possibly turn one of the rooms or porch into my studio. :)

    ReplyDelete